MCCLA collaborates with artists, performance groups, local organizations and the communities at large, providing them use and rental space in our facilities for their events and activities.
Events held at MCCLA must be in tune with our mission, goals and objectives. Priority is given to cultural and artistic events, and to activities that contribute to the advancement of information, and education of the public and participants.
- Room Rental Policies and Procedures
- Event Proposal Form
- Our Spaces (Back to Rentals Page)
- Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire
- Frequently Asked Questions
Room Rental Policies and Procedures
- Office hours: Tuesday to Friday from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- Center hours: Tuesday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
- Sundays: closed
MCCLA is also available weekends and evenings outside the stated hours.
MCCLA will be closed on the following days and holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Día de los Muertos, Thanksgiving Day and the following day, and during Winter Recess.
MCCLA provides affordable space for events and activities, in three different ways.
Regular Rental Agreement
Renter pays regular MCCLA rates and retains 100% of the event proceeds if tickets will be sold. MCCLA offers a 10% discount of the space rental for all non-profit organizations. A request for the non-profit rate must be made at the time of application. Renter must provide a verification copy of their 501C3 document. A deposit is required to secure the rental space once Booking Departments confirms the date.
Requests for collaborations must be submitted through a proposal. Collaborations are made at the discretion of the MCCLA, and according to annual or current programming schedule. MCCLA and the collaborating artist or group sign a joint work agreement, and split the ticket proceeds 50/50 at the end of the event or activity. Priority is given to cultural and artistic events, and to artist/groups who have not participated/exhibited at MCCLA during the last calendar year.
For this option, MCCLA provides:
- Rehearsal and Performing space
- Graphic Design and Promotional materials
- Advertising in MCCLA’s monthly calendar of events and website
- Box Office Info amd Ticket Sales
- Staff day of event (events, house and tech staff, and volunteers)
For collaboration projects please contact our Events Coordinator at (415) 643-2796 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donated, No Charge to User Agreement
Requests for donated, no charge space are limited to 1-2 per month, when space and time is available. Events must be open to the public, at no charge, and held during regular building hours. Only space is donated. Other equipment, tech, or staff assistance will be charged according to fee. Priority given to community gathering events (e.g., memorials, town hall meetings, educational or informational presentations, etc.)
- Download the Rental Package (DOCX) and email it to our Events Coordinator at email@example.com. Dates and space(s) are not reserved until the Bookings Department has gone over the proposal and has contacted the renter confirming the event.
- Once Bookings Department has reviewed the proposal, we will contact you within 3 to 5 business days.
- If space is available for event, MCCLA will create a contract along with an invoice. During that process, you will be required to pay the deposit to hold space.
- All fees must be paid 2 weeks prior to your event. If we have not received any payment you will run the risk of having your event cancelled.
- All agreements are subject to MCCLA’s rules, policies and regulations
- Deposits are refundable as long as the space is left as found and contract guidelines were followed.
- Renters are responsible for promoting their events. Unless hiring our website services for advertising your event for an extra cost (see below). Advertising is a two week promotion only.
- If you are a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization, you are allowed to serve alcohol, provided that you obtain MCCLA’s permission, required is proof of liability insurance. If approved, renter is responsible for obtaining its own Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Liquor License for the day of the event. See: Liquor Sales and Service below.
- Renters will be responsible for providing their own staff (volunteers, setup, cleanup, etc.).
- Any materials such as decorations, ornaments, posters, etc. have to be approved prior to event.
- Artwork is not allowed on Gallery Walls unless approved by the Booking Department. $200 additional fee.
- Renters are responsible for bringing in their own supplies and additional tables if needed.
- Rental space(s) must be left in the same condition as they were found. Client must set up and put away all rented tables and chairs. Everything should folded and put away and chairs on racks as first provided.
- Set up and cleaning after event must be completed within the scheduled time provided on Invoice
- Client will be held accountable for paying services that were not included in written agreement.
- MCCLA will not be held liable for any injury or accidents caused by renters.
- No smoking inside the building.
A reservation deposit fee is mandatory when your proposal has been approved. Rental spaces require a $160.00 or $360.00 depending on the inquired space. Deposit fee for the Gallery may vary upon exhibition. Deposit fees are refundable within 10 business days after your event.
The deposit fee is to ensure that the space(s) will be treated with care and left in the same condition in which it was rented. Damages found due to the renter’s negligence will result in the repair cost being taken from the deposit as well as any additional fees that will be billed to the renter. Also, if renter fails to remove their trash, decorations, posters, etc. A cleaning fee will be deducted from the deposit.
If the renter wants to advertise their event on our website there will be an extra charge of $25.00. After submitting the required information it will take up to 10 business days for your event to be on our website. You will need to submit a picture for your event with no text on it, and a word document with the necessary and correct information.
MCCLA has the right to cancel any event if the renter has not paid the full amount 2 weeks prior to their event.
Renter is responsible for notifying the Bookings Coordinator 10 days in advance if the event is to be late or cancelled. If renter fails to contact the Bookings Coordinator, you will be subject to the following fees:
- Two week notice: Full deposit will be given back
- One week notice: Half deposit will be given back
- No notice: Full deposit and House Manager & Technician’s fees will be charged if required
Event Proposal Form
Please fax, email, or drop off this form at the reception desk.
Applicant and Event Information
Name of Applicant(s):
Type of Event:
Non-Profit? (Yes* or No)
*MCCLA offers a discounted rate for Non-Profit entities. Entities with a 501c (3) status are eligible to receive a 10% discount off of the total bill. A verification of the 501c(3) status must be submitted at the time of deposit.
Description of Event
Please describe your event.
Number of people expected:
Admission Price if applicable: (Adults over 21, Youth, or Seniors):
Dates for your event (first four choices):
Time of your event:
Total hours needed for event:
Times of setup start, event start, event end, and cleanup end:
Select which spaces will be needed for your event:
- Theatre Only
- Theatre with Light and Sound Tech
- Lobby and Theatre with Light and Sound Tech
- La Salita (Conference Room)
- Main Gallery (Large Gallery)*
- Inti-Raymi Gallery (Small Gallery)*
- Dance Studio A
- Dance Studio B
- Music Studio C
- Art Studio D
- Dance Studio E
*Gallery is available only if approved by the Gallery Coordinator & Bookings Coordinator
Please specify quantity of equipment needed for the following:
- Cocktail Tables:
- Portable Screen:
- Portable Sound System:
- Event limited to invites only?
- Event open to public?
- Refreshments to be served?
- Commercial use of catering to be used?
- Wine or beer to be served?
- Hard liquor to be served?
- If applicable, how will service of alcoholic beverages be handled?
- If applicable, What will be done to assure that absolutely no minors (under the age of 21) will be served alcohol?
Liquor Sales and/or Services approval for License takes a few weeks. Contact the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Department promptly.
Space Rates Sheet
Space & Dimensions
|Dance Studio A (24x26')||50||$25||$45||$270|
|Dance Studio B (42x50')||80||$30||$50||$300|
|Music Studio C (17x16')||20||$25||$40||$240|
|Art Workshop Studio D (41x31')||50||$30||$45||$270|
|Dance Studio E (20x35')||15||$20||$40||$240|
|La Salita (Conference Room)||25||$20||$40||$240|
|Large Gallery (3,231 Sqft)|
Use of gallery walls: $200
|Inti-Raymi Gallery (1,469 Sqft)||50||$40||$90||$360|
|Theater, Light & Sound Tech||$110||$155||$930|
|Lobby, Theatre, Light & Sound Tech||$140||$200||$1200|
- Daytime Hours are 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Studios A, B, and E are only for dance purposes only.
- Tables and Chairs are allowed in the large and small Galleries and Lobby.
- If using the lobby, please explain on the Event Proposal Sheet the nature of the lobby purpose.
- Per-Day rate is for 6 to 8 hours.
Rates for Services
- Website Advertisement: $25.00
- Cleaning Fee: $50.00
- Recycling fee: $50.00
- Extra garbage bag: $30.00
- Staff fee/Security: $35.00
- Photographer/Video: $60.00
- Bartender: $25.00
- Apple Adapter: $5.00
- Small Speaker for laptop: $10.00
- Piano in theater: $75.00
- Projector: $35.00
- Portable Screen: $15.00
- Pop up screen: $15.00
- Microphones: $15.00
- Portable Sound System: $60.00
- Folding Metal Chairs (40): $1.00 each
- Mini Round Cocktail Table (8): $7.00 each
- 8 foot Table (4 available): $12.00 each
- 6 foot Table (5 available): $10.00 each
- 4 foot Table (4 available): $8.00 each
- Podium: $12.00
- Coat Hanger: $12.00
- Platform: $15.00
Bartender: $35.00 Hourly or $180.00 Daily
House Manager: $35.00 Hourly or $180.00 Daily
Light and Sound Tech: $35.00 Hourly or $180.00 Daily
House tech consultant fee: $120.00 per rental
Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire
We hope you enjoyed your event at the MCCLA. To help us better serve you, please take a moment to help us improve your experience at the MCCLA. Please return the Customer Satisfaction Survey after your event. Thank you!
- City, State, ZIP Code:
- Event Title:
- Date of Event:
- Was this your first time holding a rental with MCCLA? (Yes or No)
- Date of Previous Event:
- Name of Previous Event:
On a scale of 1 to 5, rate how satisfied you were with:
- The services you received
- The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff
- Flexibility of terms and agreements
- Managing your needs or requests
- Cleanliness of studios or theatre
- Would you rent from us again?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What pages of the Rental Package do I return to MCCLA?
A. Please return only the Event Proposal Form for review.
Q. Does MCCLA provide staffing for rental events?
A. No, MCCLA does not provide staffing unless a House Manager, Bartender and/or Sound Technician is hired for Event.
Q. Is MCCLA open on Sunday?
A. No, the Center is closed on Sundays. Arrangements could be made for Sunday rentals. Additional charges apply for House Managers.
Q. Can our Organization bring a Portable Sound System and other equipment?
A. Yes, client is responsible for operating all equipment. Client should provide additional extension cords if needed.
Q. Can our Organization operate your Equipment?
A. No, MCCLA does not allow renters to operate MCCLA Equipment. The theater lights or any equipment are operated by the MCCLA Sound Technician during events. A Sound Technician must set up, manage equipment and put away all rental equipment in case of damages or loss.
Q. Can anyone drop in to speak with the Bookings Department regarding a booking date?
A. Drop in appointments are not recommended during the week. Please contact the Booking Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time for office visits.
Q. Is there a Parking Garage near the Mission Cultural Center?
A. Yes, the Mission Bartlett Garage is located at 3255 - 21st St, San Francisco, CA 94110. Location is three blocks away.
Q. Are there any places to eat in the area?
A. Yes, MCCLA is located at the heart of the Mission District. Please ask Bookings for a list of recommended restaurants.
Q. Do I need proof of liability insurance?
A. Yes, MCCLA would need Proof of Insurance ten days before the event.
Q. How long before I receive the Deposit?
A. Deposits are returned within 30 days after the rental date.
Q. Can I rent a studio space for my class for several months at a time?
A. No, MCCLA serves the public and we provide rental space per month to the members of our community.