- Saturday, February 13, 2021
- 10 am to 4 pm
- Free! (Workshops require registration)
- Live on Zoom (Workshops), and MCCLA’s Facebook and YouTube!
Celebrating 44 years of arts and culture!
With great pride and joy, we are celebrating MCCLA’s birthday / open house, and want YOU to join us!
Despite all challenges brought about by the spread of a nasty and deadly virus, MCCLA, like so many other community organizations, stood strong and resilient; doing what they do best. MCCLA for one, ventured into “Desde la Cueva del Jaguar,” From the Jaguar’s Cave, a series of online programming which promises to become a strong link to a diverse and global community.
To begin our virtual birthday celebration we’ll be offering dance, music, poetry and visual arts sessions, as well as a special Carnaval Workout Class to shake it all out! We will dedicate our humble music Studio C, to our most dear Maestro Alfonso Ochoa, for his long years of dedication and service to MCCLA and to the Mission community. To top it all off, Orquesta Adelante, our “resident” salsa band will get you up your feet and spinning! For more info check our website and register to our monthly newsletter.
MCCLA’s creation was inspired by the Jaguar, native of the Americas, and revered as a mystical symbol of strength and fertility, with powerful presence. Today, as we celebrate another milestone in our beloved MCCLA’s history, let’s call, as our founders once did, upon the spirit of the Jaguar for strength, pride, and inspiration.
Jennie E. Rodriguez
- 10 am to 11 am: Carnaval Dance Workshop with Juan de Dios & Lydia Soto. All levels. Ages 13 and up. Register online
Join us from anywhere for this special one-hour workshop from dance to a fusion of rhythms: Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia, Reggaeton, Bachata.
- 11 am to 12 pm: Blackout Poetry Workshop with Mara Patricia Hernandez. All ages, not only poets! Register online
Blackout poetry is a technique for creating poetry that takes an existing text – such as a page from a book, or a newspaper article – and obscures or “blacks out” certain words in order to highlight others. The remaining, highlighted words create a new poem from the original text.
- 12 pm to 2 pm: Mission Gráfica Zine 101 Workshop with Marsha Shaw. All ages. Register online
For the last 40 years public participation, resistance and social change has been the hallmark of Mission Gráfica Printmaking Studio. This zine workshop is intended to bring together multi-generational students who are interested in exploring the ideas of social justice, politics, and current issues through self-expression.
- 1 pm to 2 pm: Afro Latin Drumming for Kids with Hector Lugo. Ages 7 to 12. Register online
Through drumming, singing and storytelling children are introduced to the musical traditions and culture of the Caribbean and Latin America. The focus of the class is on hands-on learning and fun activities, but the curriculum is designed to develop musicianship, physical coordination, bi-lingual literacy skills, multi-cultural awareness, and comfort with public speaking and performance.
- 2:30 pm to 3 pm: Homage to Maestro Alfonso Ochoa. All ages.
MCCLA is honored to recognize the artistic career of maestro Alfonso Ochoa, a music teacher in the Latino community for decades.
- Time TBA: San Francisco Youth Theatre. All ages.
A special presentation by the students of the San Francisco Youth Theater: Voces para todxs.
- 3 pm to 4 pm: Orquesta Adelante Music Concert. All ages.
Let’s dance with our favorite community resident band led by Bass Lady Suzanne Cortez!