- Entry deadline: August 20, 2019 by 5pm
- Selected artists notified by: August 27
- Entry fee: $15
Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts is seeking artists to be a part of our 2019 Day of the Dead exhibit, Cultivando tiempo / Cultivating time. Our natural environment manifests the cyclical phases of birth, growth, and death through seasons, animals, vegetation, and the cosmos. The ancestors in native beliefs were not limited to humans. Ancestors also included fauna, flora, minerals, and elements. A relationship that is fundamental in sustaining the tradition of building altar spaces to honor humans and non-humans alike.
In practice the celebration of the Day of the Dead is a healthy way to grieve, to heal, and to relate with our environment. At MCCLA, our Day of the Dead exhibit has been used as a platform to address socio political issues that have contributed to mass deaths in our community, and has given a safe space to freely mourn our deceased kin.
This year we honor time and our relationship to Mother Earth with gratitude. MCCLA is looking for artists who can create altar installations that represent a season with an element. The central altar will symbolize the sun and will function like a compass that points to the directions of west, south, east, and north where the main altars are positioned.
Along with these altars are other spaces that include a community altar, and an interactive altar. We carry on a tradition where artists, artisans, educators, and overall community members integrate a truly special exhibit that allows us to think of our place on this Earth in this lifetime.
Please consider any of the following altar spaces, which are approximately 8′ x 12′ x 8′.
- West: Autumn. Men. Air. White.
- South: Summer. Kids. Water. Blue.
- East: Spring. Women. Fire. Red.
- North: Winter. Elders. Earth. Brown/Black.
We are also considering individual altars from the community. No theme required. Sizes of spaces will vary. MCCLA accepts traditional altars, contemporary installations, paintings, film, new media, photography, video, and poetry.
Please submit entries via email to email@example.com or in person at Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts (2nd floor), 2868 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94110.
Please include the following in your submission:
- Contact information
- Send up to 3 samples of your work that meets the theme or title
- Images of the work you want to show or sketches of intended work (format .jpeg). All images of artwork should include title, medium, dimensions, and value.
- One paragraph description on how the work is related to the theme of the exhibit
- Add a link to your website or instagram if you have one
Entry fee: $15 in form of a money order made payable to Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, or pay over the phone with credit card at 415 821-1155. Credit card payments are subject to a small service charge.
- Deadline to send entries: August 20, 2019
- Selected artists will be notified by: August 27, 2019
- Installation starts: September 24, 2019 to October 17, 2019
- Opening reception and fundraiser: October 18, 2019
- Celebration: November 2, 2019
- Exhibit dates: October 18, 2019 to November 16, 2019
- Work retrieval period: November 27, 2019 to November 30, 2019