- Reception: November 2, 2021
- Admission $5 to $10
- Exhibition dates: October 12 to November 19, 2021
- Gallery Hours: Tuesday to Fri 10:30am to 7:30pm, Saturdays 10:30am to 4:30pm
- Proof Of Covid-19 Vaccination Will Be Required.
The Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts (MCCLA) invites the public to the ‘Ni Tanto Ni Tan Muertos— Neither So Much, Nor So Dead,’ 35th annual Day of the Dead exhibit and celebration. Once again, MCCLA prepares for the annual ritual; to jointly explore and reflect on the eternal, ever present cycle of Life and Death. As we slowly emerge from months of mortal pandemia, mandated lockdowns, life losses and disruptions, we confront, even more so, this human duality — the fragility of our existence, and the resiliency of our bodies and our spirit. It is with this deep sense of mourning and gratitude that “Ni Tanto ni Tan Muertos” intends to connect here … and beyond.
Under the theme ‘Y Sigo Aqui‘ (And I’m Still Here) Manos Creativas returned to curate the main altar installation. Manos Creativas is a group of artists and craftsmen of San Francisco, whose main objective is to explore different handcrafting techniques used on Mexican folk art by working with diverse materials, textures, colors, paintbrush strokes, sculpting, and modelling.
This year MCCLA will be honoring the memory of those who recently departed and who were so treasured by so many. We will have altars dedicated to: Hug Lu (visual artist), Ann Halprin (dancer), Jack Hirschman (poet), Yolanda Lopez (visual artist).
The November 2nd Reception begins at 6:30pm with an opening ceremony by Danza Azteca, and will end with music from Inti Batey, starting at 9:00pm. A poetry reading session will be hosted in the theatre, followed by Shamans in the City, MCCLA’s recent docu-film.
For More Information Or To Schedule A Gallery Visit, Call: 415-821-1155
November 2 Program — 6pm to 10pm
- 6:30 — Opening Ceremony Aztec Dancers (Outside)
- 7:30 — Poetry Reading Poets Brigade (Theatre)
- 8:00 — Ann Halprin Performance Lab Dance Performance (Gallery)
- 8:30 — Shamans In The City Docu-film – 30min (Theatre)
- 9:00 — Inti Batey Music Performance (Outside)