- Starting February 9, 2019
- Saturdays from 10 to 11:15 AM
- Studio B (3rd Floor)
- $10 ($8 with Registration)
- Last day to register: March 30th
Dancers of all levels wanted for "Sazón del Alma," MCCLA'S 2019 Carnaval Contingent! Dance to a fusion of rhythms: Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia, Reggaeton, Bachata. Choreographers: Lydia Soto Vergara & Juan de Dios Soto.
We´ll have additional classes Wednesdays 6:00 to 7:15 PM in Studio B starting in April.
Grand Parade is May 26th!
Registration is $35.
For more information contact Carnaval@missionculturalcenter.org or visit MCCLA Carnaval on Facebook.
- Proposal Deadline: Wednesday, December 5, 2018
- Grand Parade: Sunday, May 26, 2019
MCCLA is seeking proposals from experienced choreographers with demonstrated teaching skills to create a thematic Carnaval choreography, and to teach that choreography to classes of adults and children of all skill levels.
Proposal's theme and concept should relate to Carnaval San Francisco’s 2019 theme, Culture Heals. Applicant can suggest the theme for the contingent, but final decision will be made by MCCLA’s Carnaval Committee. MCCLA usually participates in the Caribbean, Traditional/Folkloric, or Contemporary categories, with at least 2-3 different rhythms.
Your proposal should answer the 4 questions below in detail:
- What is your proposed theme and concept for MCCLA’s 2019 contingent?
- How will your proposed theme/concept incorporate the elements of dance, music, costume, and overall contingent movement and visual impact?
- What type of dance category and music rhythms are you considering in your proposed choreography?
- Describe your choreography.
- Proposal narrative and answered questions
- Artistic resume including 2 references and work samples
Proposals, resumes, and inquiries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 5, 2018 at 5 PM.
- Proven choreography, artistic vision, and experienced teaching skills. Carnaval experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to effectively work in a team with a mature and respectful manner and relate to participants of all ages and skill levels.
- Exhibit flexibility and generate enthusiasm. Have a sense of humor and positive attitude for duration of project.
- Wed December 5th: Proposal Deadline
- Sat December 15th: Proposal Selection
- Sat January 12th: Carnaval Classes begin
- Sat February 9th: Open House Carnaval Class
- Sat February 23th: Carnaval Choreography begins
- Wed April 3rd: Carnaval Class #2 begins
- Sun May 26th: Carnaval Grand Parade!
- Saturday, September 15, 2018
- From 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Cafe de la Muerte (2nd floor)
- Friday, June 29, 2018
- From 6 PM to 7 PM
- Theatre (1st Floor)
- $5 admission
MCCLA's Comparsa "Alborada (A New Dawn)" gave another spectacular performance! Diana Aburto, a seasoned and talented Nicaraguan dancer, lead this year's contingent. The choreography blends the music from Nicaragua and the coastal Garifuna groups with rhythms of Cumbia, Vallenato, Punta, Palo de Mayo, and of course, some Salsa.
Watch Carnaval SF 2018 on the big screen! Return to live the experience of music and dance that unite us as a community.
- Dance Classes: Saturdays
- From 10 AM to 11:15 AM
- Studio B (3rd Floor)
- $12 per class ($8 after Registration)
- Registration fee: $35
Mission Cultural Center Invites you to join the 2018 Carnaval Parade contingent with live Latin & Caribbean music! 1st place winner of 2017 SF Carnaval Caribbean Category!
MCCLA's Comparsa "Alborada (A New Dawn)" is gearing up for another spectacular performance. Diana Aburto, a seasoned and talented Nicaraguan dancer, will be leading this year's contingent. Diana Aburto's choreography blends the music from Nicaragua and the coastal Garifuna groups with rhythms of Cumbia, Vallenato, Punta, Palo de Mayo, and of course, some Salsa. Come check us out next Saturday and join us!
Buy raffle tickets and win really cool prizes! We will distribute tickets next Saturday at the class.
We hope you join us this year, and become, once again, part of this wonderful and magical experience!
- Clases: Sábados a las 10 AM
- Coreógrafo: Temistocles Betancourt
El MCCLA te invita a ser parte del Contingente “Bomba del Corazón en la Mission.”
En el marco del Carnaval de la Mission 2017 “El Corazón de San Pancho”, el Mission Cultural Center reafirma su compromiso con la comunidad por 40 años ininterrumpidos!! La Mission es el Corazón de San Pancho y el MCCLA es el Corazón de la Mission. Como tal, el Corazón se encarga de bombear la sangre y a todo el cuerpo, en cada palpitar existe una pequeña explosión que contagia al cuerpo de la alegría y la emoción que necesitamos para vivir.
Del mismo modo, durante sus 40 años de existencia, el MCCLA ha sido el catalizador del talento, el arte y el color que contagia toda la Mission y este año queremos compartirlo con todos.
Request For Choreographer Proposals
Deadline: February 1, 2017
MCCLA, a 501(c)(3) is seeking proposals from experienced choreographers with demonstrated teaching skills to create a thematic, Carnaval choreography and to teach that choreography to classes of adults and children of all skill levels. MCCLA has been a proud Carnaval SF participant for over 30+ years. In 2017 MCCLA will also be celebrating 40 years of promoting art and culture in SF. Proposal's theme and concept should relate to Carnaval SF's 2017 theme, "EL CORAZÓN DE SAN PANCHO". MCCLA's selected theme will guide the contingent's dance, music, costumes, and allegorical float. The theme must be approved by MCCLA's Carnaval Committee.
- Grand Parade: Sunday, May 24th
- Dance classes: Saturdays from 3:15 to 4:30 PM
- Studio B (3rd Floor)
- $10 per class ($6 after Registration)
- $25 Registration Fee + Costume Fee
Join Mission Cultural Center’s “Rumbagua” 2015 Carnaval Contingent! Choreography by Brenda Perdue & Javier Alvarez.
- Learn MCCLA’s Carnaval choreography.
- Dance to an exciting mix of Latin & Caribbean rhythms to include: salsa, rumba & merengue.
- Have lots of fun at Carnaval.
- All Levels Welcome
- Grand Parade: Sunday, May 25, 2014
- Dance Classes: Saturdays February 1st to May 24th
- From 3:15 PM to 4:30 PM
- Studio B (3rd Floor)
- $8 Class ($6 with Discount Coupons)
"Copa de Amor Y Ritmo" reflects the overall theme of the 2014 Carnaval by saluting the World Cup in our "Copa" presentation. The contingent has wonderful uplifting music, rhythms, and dance moves in its choreography. Our cup overflows with our Latino dance and our Love for our culture!
MCCLA's contingent presents a contemporary fusion of Latino Caribbean movement fused with reggaeton, a little Zumba (Brazilian inspired movement) and cumbia. We call our dance choreography SalzaZumbaton! Like MCCLA's mission, we represent all Latino culture and elements. Brenda Perdue, a seasoned Zumba teacher, will lead our contingent. Our mix of contemporary music will be provided by DJ Rumorosa, providing the sounds of contemporary Latino artists such as Wisin & Yandel, el Rubio Loco, and salsa favorites. As in any team, we have our mascot, the MCCLA Jaguar, who represents divinity and power in Mexico, Central and South America and all other places where the Jaguar roamed.
The Thomas Edison Charter Academy students, teachers, and parents will join MCCLA's contingent, as in the last 7 years.
- Kid's rehearsals: 2 to 2:45 PM
- Studio A (3rd Floor)
- $8 Class
MCCLA has participated in Carnaval San Francisco parade since its inception and has participated continuously in the parade since 2000. This year MCCLA celebrates 37 years in the Heart of the Mission, supporting and nourishing Latino Arts and artists through performances, exhibitions, and classes for children, youth, and adults. The MCCLA Carnaval contingent is excited to participate once again in this wonderful cultural party of color and fantasy. Que Viva Carnaval!
Copa de Amor Y Ritmo: Photo gallery